About Coon Rapids
Coon Rapids...Community strength...for generations
Coon Rapids, Minnesota is an exciting community situated along the Mississippi River just 12 miles north of Minneapolis! Our city offers a variety of opportunities for recreation and shopping, as well as great housing options and wonderful opportunities for business! 63,599 residents call Coon Rapids home! With 24 hour police and fire departments, unique housing programs, an active volunteer community and a variety of educational opportunities, our city offers something for everyone!
Coon Rapids offers a variety of community events including the well-known 4th of July Community Celebration (with one of the best fireworks displays in the state) summer and winter concerts, Movie in the Park events, Farmers Market, Pet Fair, Safety Camps and a variety of other activities. There's truly something for everyone here in Coon Rapids! See all of our events in our event calendar.
Coon Rapids is home to:
- Mercy Hospital - named one of the top hospitals in the nation by Truven Health Analytics and US News and World Report
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College - named a top 10 Community College in the nation by the Aspen Institute
- Over 1000 small and large businesses
- Riverdale Regional Shopping area featuring large and small retailers
- Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park - a large recreation area along the river with boat launch, miles of trails and unique walkway
- Bunker Hills Regional Park featuring Bunker Beach - the largest outdoor water park in Minnesota
- Bunker Hills Golf Club - nationally recognized by Golf Digest
- and many more outstanding amenities!
The Anoka-Hennepin School District serves students in Coon Rapids, as well as there are private and charter schools. Coon Rapids High School offers bio-medical and engineering programs to help students prepare for future careers.
Anoka-Ramsey Community College, provides many 2 and 4 year degree programs in a high-tech learning environment.
Coon Rapids offers 48 parks, more than 40 miles of trails, the award winning Bunker Hills Golf Club and 2 regional parks. From biking and hiking to fishing and other sports opportunities, you won't be bored in Coon Rapids. Through partnerships with sports associations and Community Education, youth sports and other classes are available year-round. Adult activities for softball, golf and other leisure activities are also offered. The Coon Rapids Senior Center also offers a variety of activities for seniors 55+ from day trips to classes, activities and senior dining.